Thursday, September 8, 2011
In his speech to a joint session of Congress, President Obama urged Congress to "Pass this bill right away", referring to his plan to create jobs for Americans. Click here to read an article about the President's speech, and then respond to one or more of the prompts below.
1. How does television give the President the ability to put pressure on Congress to pass his plan to create jobs for Americans?
2. Do you think Americans will react favorably to the President's speech? Why or why not?
3. How important was it that the President proposed ways to pay for his $450 billion jobs proposal? Explain why you think so.
4. Which parts of the President's jobs plan did you like, and why? Which parts didn't you like, and why?
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Tonight, Republican candidates for their party's presidential nomination with face off in a televised debate. Click here to read an article describing five things to watch for in the debate. Then respond to one or more of the following writing prompts:
1. Did you see evidence of any or all of the 5 things the article said to watch for? If so, which ones? Describe what happened in the debate in one or more of the 5 areas. Why does what you saw matter?
2. In general, what would make a candidate successful in a debate of this type? Are these the same qualities that would make a presidential candidate a good president? Why or why not?
3. Of all the candidates who participated in the debate, which one impressed you the most? What specifically did he/she do that impressed you? Was it enough to make you want to vote for that candidate?
4. Of all the candidates who participated in the debate, which one was the least impressive? Why do you think so?