Wednesday, April 4, 2012
Using the following two pages and other reputable sources, compare and contrast the arguments for and against the Patriot Act. Be prepared to cite specific reasons for your argument.
If you find a statistic or interesting fact that you want to share with the class, please post it here:
Sunday, April 1, 2012
1. Go to www.nationmaster.com and compare your country with the United States. Look for statistical differences in crimes such as robbery, drugs, murders, etc... You may also use any other statistic that you find to be of significance to the incarceration rate comparison. Spend a little time reviewing the information so that you are prepared for the blog prompt.
2. Record the information you find important into Pages for later.
3. Use google.com to find the penalty for at least three of the previous crimes that you have found. Do these crimes have a harsher penalty in the US or in your country? Does this affect the prison http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifpopulation difference?
4. If you find something in particular that you would like to share with the class go to http://corkboard.me/s1oQNOvFhO and post.
5. Post to the blog a paragraph detailing your findings. Be sure to answer the http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.giffollowing prompt: What are the contributing factors to the differences between your country and the United States in terms of incarceration rates, crime and punishment?
6. When finished, go to https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7LL8WNDFlw8U18xS1Q4clZRdWU5TFp6cVpCN2RpZw and watch the video on the Texas prison reform. In a separate discussion, post an answer to the following question: Do you think the new model in Texas will help curb incarceration rates in the United States? If not, what do you think is the answer to our current prison problem. Be sure to substantiate your position.